Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Parents should shun the habit of comparing their children with others



There is a common practice amongst the Bangladeshi parents and which is to compare their own children with others children. Very often the parents tend to disgrace their own children with insulting words when the others’ children rip good harvests than their own children.

But is it worthy to do so?

I have grown up in an environment where each day I was being reminded that I’m nothing but an idiot as my other cousins were superior to me in studies. I couldn’t satisfy my parents’ demands with good results. And for which I had always been regarded as a dumb.

At times the comparisons used to take a heavy toll on my mind and very often I used to cry silently. The insults not only came from my parents but also from my relatives. And mind you they were as sharp as Tipu Sultan’s sword which made my childish heart bleed.

But somehow I could overcome those discouraging stones thrown on me and has been able to stand on my feet to move forward.

 But not many are able to do so. Due to continuous comparisons, discouragements and insults from their parents, many children tend to develop a severe psychological stress which hampers their normal mental growth. They tend to develop an inferiority complex within themselves which leads to depression and ultimately to fatal Schizophrenia.

The duty of the parents is to encourage their children whenever they are found wanted. Not all children are good in studies, but Allah has gifted each and every child with many unique qualities which must be discovered by the parents.


Your child isn’t a dumb or idiot as he/she fails in studies, but your children have talents which only you can discover if you have that eye. Don’t compare your children with others and hamper their childhood. The child deserves a better childhood from you through words of wisdom and encouragement.

Please, for the sake of Allah, don’t hurt their soft minds.

It’s you who have brought your children in this world by the grace of Allah. Your children didn’t come to this world willingly. So, it’s your duty to make sure that they grow up properly with your love, care and encouragements.

If you continue to compare your children with others and throw discouraging stones towards them, remember you will lose your children in the black hole of depressive illness.

Thank You
Faisal Caesar



 

No comments:

Post a Comment