Friday, February 13, 2015

ICC World Cup 2015 - I want another tournament like 1992


I was six or seven years old when I first experienced about the ICC World Cup. In 1987, my World Cup journey started. In those days there was no live coverage of cricket matches. People used to rely on radio commentary.

During the Reliance World Cup 1987, in my home, Boro Abba and Bappi used to follow the All India and Pakistan Radio commentary. All the family members, except my mother, used to sit around the radio and listen to the wonderful commentary of the Indian and Pakistani commentators.

I didn’t understand anything, but participated in everyone’s celebration when a wicket fell or boundaries were hit. Bangladesh Television did telecast the semi-finals and final of that World Cup. The gloomy faces of spectators at Lahore and Mumbai, Gatting’s reverse sweep and Allan Border lifting the trophy are the moments which I still remember. But these moments are not so clear in my memory.

The memories of World Cup 1992 are still fresh in my mind and that was the best World Cup I have ever seen so far. None of the matches were dull and it gifted some of the most epic encounters and unforgettable moments in the history of ICC World Cups. Each team played against each other and they were tested on the difficult tracks of Australia and New Zealand. No teams could a take any matches lightly and that’s how a World Cup should be.  

Both the established and rising superstars played in that tournament and made it a memorable one for the cricket fans – Imran Khan and Sachin Tendulkar, Ian Botham and Brian Lara, Kapil Dev and Inzamam-ul-Haq, Graham Gooch and Allan Donald, Martin Crowe and Curtly Ambrose, Allan Border and Hansie Cronje etc – no such cricketing mega event has gifted me such a thing so far.

The 1992 World Cup was held during the Ramadan and we used to wake up during Sehri time, finished our Sehri and then sat down to watch cricket matches. My late Maternal Grandfather also joined us to watch cricket matches and every member of our family, except my mother, were infected by cricket virus. It was just a cricket festival, which doesn’t happen these days. People don’t know how to celebrate from the heart at present. All are so commercial.

These memories are so sweet.

Another World Cup will start from tomorrow. After 23 years, another World Cup will take place in Australia and New Zealand. I just love watching cricket matches in Australia. They always offer exciting and competitive cricket matches. I hope, this time around, Australia and New Zealand will gift me another World Cup like 1992.


I don’t care about who will win or lose. All I want is the exhibition of top quality cricket where there will be an ideal balance between bat and ball. I want another memorable and thrilling World Cup in Australia and New Zealand

Thank You
Faisal Caesar  

No comments:

Post a Comment