Thursday, May 12, 2016

Rest in peace Tony Cozier


The news of Tony Cozier’s sad demise came as a big surprise for me. I first experienced his commentary during the World series Cricket held in 1988-89 and during the 1992 World Cup in Australia and New Zeland where he was a lively presence behind the microphone along with Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry, Ian Chappell, Greg Chappell, David Gower, Henry Blofield, Sir Richard Hadlee and co.

I was quite surprised to discover a West Indian commentator to be white as I thought, someone from the West Indies should be black. The first impression which struck my young mind was, this guy is different and as the time progressed, I discovered, he was not only different in style and thinking, but he was unique among the world’s most top commentators during that time.

The way he represented West Indies during the 1992 World Cup, it always seemed to me, his heart and soul were deeply mingled with the Caribbean cricket. I could feel his sadness and anger at the same time when West Indies lost a match against South Africa. His passion and love for West Indies cricket was at its best during the Frank Worrell series in 1992-93 where he always sounded confident about a West Indian turnaround. Like me and you, West Indies cricket was his life.

Tony’s voice was unique and always gave us the flavor of the sun-drenched beaches of the West Indies. When you and me witnessed the fall of the Caribbean kingdom in Jamaica in 1995, I am sure, he cried with me. It was neither a rosy feeling for me, nor Tony to digest a West Indian defeat at home after more than a decade.

During the tough times of West Indies cricket, his voice still reminded us of the golden era of Caribbean cricket. He expressed his frustrations about WICB and players of the post Richards era, but deep down, like me, he always believed that one day West Indies will rise to the top again.  

He had seen it all in world cricket. He was privileged to commentate in an era when world cricket was still not engulfed by a crazy money train named, Twenty20 League. And, he had witnessed, how the lusty souls are up to hurt the soul of cricket. He has died with a heavy heart. I can feel his pain deeply.

Rest in Peace Tony Cozier.


Thank You
Faisal Caesar 

No comments:

Post a Comment