Thursday, May 9, 2013

Nothing is more satisfying than saving a life



Three weeks back while doing duty in the Cabin Block of BSMMU, a young lady called me to attend her patient – a 60 years old woman - in a commanding manner. According to her, the patient developed a carpo pedal spasm. I went to the cabin and the young lady who was the wife of the patient’s son, started guiding me as if she was a Professor! The old lady was admitted under medicine unit with the complaints of Acute Gastroenteritis which was not severe. Her biochemical reports revealed of an electrolyte imbalance with hypokalemia and hypocalcaemia which were not severe.

I discovered that the old lady had severe breathlessness. There were movements of hands similar to carpo pedal sapasms but they weren’t those in actual terms. In fact the old lady was fighting for breathe. 

I asked the young lady, who was in a Resident course in Paediatrics, whether her patient had any history of Ischaemic heart disease. She could not say anything. She never was able to give any significant history regarding her mother-in-law. The old lady’s own daughter was also a doctor and she too was ignorant about her mother!

I got offended. The old lady had developed a Pulmonary Oedema and as there was no significant history of fluid overload then definitely there should have been structural disorders of heart. Though, later on while searching her old papers I discovered that she had single coronary artery disease with an unstable blood pressure. But why the two doctors could not say this?

Immediately, I took necessary measures. I shifted the patient to CCU, consulted with my seniors and colleagues and proceeded accordingly. The oxygen saturation was 30% and a chance of her survival was bleak. Intubations, NG tube, intravenous Nitrates, Frusemide, Noradrenaline, Dopamine and Dobutamine etc were given.

While doing so, I was very rude with the two doctors. Even my Unit chief told me to be sober with ladies. But when in work I don’t wish to care anyone. Survival of the patient is my only motto. The old lady’s son’s wife, since then, remained quite as long as I was around. Listen lady, being in a course doesn’t make anyone a superior-thing. You have a long way to go.

Three weeks later, today, the old lady has been discharged with a smiling face. I was on leave today. Around 10:30 am I got a phone call from her daughter who thanked me for all the efforts I had taken while on duty. She told that her mother was searching for me with sweets! The old lady reminded me of my maternal grandmother.

Throughout the day I have been very pleased with myself. Nothing is more satisfying than saving a life especially, if the patient is an elderly one. As a doctor I am pleased. What do you need more? The blessings of the old lady is as precious as gold.

Thank You
Faisal Caesar

 

No comments:

Post a Comment