Friday, May 2, 2014

Once there was a pace bowler named Daulat Zaman

In the then East Pakistan – now Bangladesh – there existed a medium-fast-pace bowler named Daulat Zaman. He was an extremely promising youngster during that time. He had very good control over his bowling, he could move the ball, and more importantly, he could move the old ball late – I repeat again: He could move the old ball late and like Fazal Mahmood, he could cut the ball in and away from the batsmen and was blessed with a fantastic stamina.

I came across an article about him almost 10 or 12 years back. Sadly, I lost that paper-cutting while changing my house. There was less but brief information about his cricketing abilities and this ‘late movement with the old ball’ grabbed my attention the most. How effective that late movement with the old ball was, I am not so sure as he lacked the pace to make it productive enough but as far I have known – though not very much - about him, he was a very effective pacer for the longer-version formats and his selection in the Pakistan Test squad was a matter of time but it didn’t happen.

Frankly speaking, I wish to know more about such blessed cricketers of the past. We don’t have such passionate cricket writers around, except a few people, to pen down an essay in detail about this man. Moreover, we don’t have a proper cricket archive regarding our cricket history.  Mind you, I strongly believe that, Bangladesh has a very rich cricket history as well. But we lack the brains to discover them. Had I not been a doctor I would have personally taken the initiative to explore our cricket history.

Thank You

Faisal Caesar

No comments:

Post a Comment