Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Cristiano Ronaldo, I cannot say goodbye



Since I watched an old El Clasico match on VCR way back in early December 1990, when Bangladesh was engulfed by the euphoria of the downfall of an autocratic regime, I became a fan of the Los Blancos. Madrid won against Barca, and their display was electrifying enough to make me their fan alongside the Rossoneri, AC Milan.

Of curse, Milan will always be my first choice, but Madrid and their stars kept on attracting me and it only quenched the thirst of my passionate soul, but benefited Filmfare video as well. I was their grand customer – I don’t think I have missed any of the video cassettes related to soccer and cricket. I still have those recorded cassettes in my collection, but sadly they don’t work anymore.

Emilio Butrageuno, Hugo Sanchez, Michel and Bernhard Schuster were the heroes at Santiago Bernabeu back then. In came a Romanian named Gheorghe Hagi the next year, whose left-footed free-kicks were a treat for the eyes and then in the following seasons the likes of Roberto Carlos, Raul, Suker, Redando, Mijatovic, Seedorf, Fernando Hierro dominated the headlines alongside Romario, Ronaldo, Stoichkov, Rivldo, George Ueah, Roberto Baggio, Dennis Bergkamp, Alan Shearer, Luis Figo, Denilson, Zidane and others.

Barca had the Brazilians and automatically I should have been a Braca follower, but I just failed to do such. Madrid’s fluid football amalgamated with an attacking intent attracted me more. In the next decade, Madrid were a side studded with stars – Ronaldo Lima, Zinedine Zidane, Raul, Guti, David Beckham, Roberto Carlos, Ilker Casillas, Hierro, Luis Figo. Who would not pay their money and invest their time to watch them? The El Glacticos left and Kaka came in, but the Brazilian had always been shadow of AC Milan in Bernabeu.

In 2009, a youngster named Cristiano Ronaldo was bought by Madrid boss Perez from Manchester United. He was talented, but I feared whether he would be able to live up to the expectations of Madrid fans and of course, would he be able to overshadow the charismatic Argentine named Lionel Messi?

Time passed fast. The Portuguese did not disappoint the Madrid fans at all. In each match, he continued to unleash his talent either with a dead-leaf free-kick, a bicycle kick, mind-blowing dribbles from the left-flank or the banana shots. In each match, he seemed to be the fittest of all. The press tore him apart. The Messi followers trolled him brutally. But the Portuguese hardly cared about those. The flawed genius ran fast, breached the toughest of defences to score goals like it is the easiest of jobs in this planet.

The planet of football was forced to shower all the love he deserved at Bernabeu. The soccer Gods were forced to shower all the praises on him. He fought alone at times. He fought like a leader during Madrid’s darkest of periods. His smile never diminished. His celebrations were a hit. His presence was the brightest like the sun, which hid the stars at Camp Nou at more often. Cristiano Roanldo became the beloved child of Madrid fans. 

CR7’s departure is a reality and I have to accept it. An era has come to an end as it’s the period of transition and Madrid needs to build for the future. But at times, all those realities happening all around me, becomes hard to accept. The realistic person in me dies in a moment when I see a man named Cristiano Ronaldo – who gave me so much since 2009 wearing the shirt of Los Blancos, oh yes, it’s hard to accept.

I cannot say goodbye to CR7.

I can only thank him for all the astonishing moments he gifted me while playing in Madrid shirts.


Thank You
Faisal Caesar 

No comments:

Post a Comment