Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The champions must retire gracefully and not disgracefully



The way the Indian ship sunk down under had been pathetic to watch. I am personally regarded as an ugly critic of the Indian cricket but that only crop up only because of their Board’s certain policies and their media who are always in the habit of over-rating. But I’m a cricket fan and above all I belong to the subcontinent and for which the India nightmarish tour didn’t impress me at all, neither the tour to England made me chummy.

India, being the world champions and with superstars in their team I and rest of the world expected a close contest both in England and Australia. And obviously the men in blue were expected to rock down under as for the last ten years or so it had been India who had stood tall and brave in front of the might of the Baggy green caps.

But sadly, it was not to be this time around. India lost the series miserably and like the English summer it had been a whitewash!

When such heavy defeats by a fine side is being gifted to the passionate fans, automatically angry reactions are bound to come. And as usual the old guards have been made the target along with the captain.

I am against keep going with the old guards and even stated my views on Facebook and twitter but that was my brain which was giving me such thoughts. But when I close my eyes I can’t bear to watch the Indian team go out there without Dravid coming out to bat with a cool and composed walk towards the crease, Laxman’s crouching stance and obviously Sachin Tendulkar’s entry which leaves the world of cricket in frenzy.

My passionate and emotional mind told me that my brain was wrong. My heart which started to weep after watching those scenes of the greats in my imaginative world started to hint me that the old guards still can go, they still can deliver for one more year as they bear the character and the zest to continue.    

No doubt the trio of Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman are showing signs of decay. Those Midas touches are gone and those majestic abilities to essay an epic are present no more but one thing we just forget that these are the peoples who haven’t reached this stage through a rosy highway but facing through hurdles after hurdles which has developed their never-say-die attitude and it’s because of this attitude they still can deliver India the best for at least one year or so.

When to retire? How to retire? Such are the things which are always very difficult to decide for a sportsman. Every sportsman wants to retire with grace and champions like Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman deserve a hero’s exit from the stage at which they once graced gracefully.

I feel Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman still have another wind in their career, at least for another season and if Ricky Ponting can come out from his lean patch then it’s also possible for the trio to bounce back and serve India for another season.

I want a change in the Indian cricket team but by not axing the trio suddenly. I believe people like Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman are sensible and dignified personalities. So, they won’t dare to fool themselves around when the time is actually up for them. Its better we leave up to them to decide when to retire and being sensible personalities they will call it a day when they feel it’s the time to say good-bye.

I want Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman to play one more season as I feel they still have the fire in their belly and I want them to retire with grace.

The champions must not retire disgracefully.

Thank You
Faisal Caesar 

No comments:

Post a Comment