Wednesday, August 14, 2019

#SLvNZ: A lesson for the young Lasith Embuldeniya



Ross Taylor and Henry Nicholls stabilized the New Zealand innings, which experienced two collapses before lunch and tea. Especially Taylor was in a counterattacking mood and dished out an entertaining innings. But I think, he was allowed to go after the bowlers due to some defensive captaincy from Dimuth Karunaratne.

With Akila Danajaya setting jitters in the batting line-up at one end, Dimuth's defensive field-set let the pressure off from another end on a deck, which started to turn after first 10 overs.

Lasith Embuldeniya was forced to bowl a normal length, whereas, on this deck, an attacking field would have aided him a lot.

Taylor and Nicholls cashed in.


This should be a lesson for young Embuldeniya. He needs to learn how to set his own field. As EAS Prasanna once said, "I set my own fields and I could bowl to my field. I always believed in one thing – the captain is there but as a bowler, you have to set your own field, otherwise, it becomes like backseat driving. If you bowl to the field set by the captain, that means you are sacrificing your line of thinking".   

Akila had been successful because with time he has learned to set his own field and bowl the ideal length on turners, which in my opinion should be a tad fuller.

Thank You
Faisal Caesar 

No comments:

Post a Comment