Thursday, July 30, 2015

England v Australia, 3rd Test, day 1 - Well bowled England


The Ashes of 1997 was the fourth edition for me or I think, I should say, it was my third to be precise as during the 1990-91 season, I just got familiar with the term Ashes and followed a bit but, from 1993, I started following the Ashes regularly.

The summer of 1997 was sultry in Bangladesh. I was searching for a better college for admission. I ditched Notradame, Science, Rifle’s Public and Residential Model Colleges only for Dhaka College. I disliked the tough academic schedules and disciplinary actions of those colleges. I preferred a bit of freedom.

 Life was moving on and of course, there was cricket to provide me  all the joy in my carefree life.  

While the summer of 1997 was a rosy one for me, the Australians were found wanting in England from the word go. In the first Test at Edgbaston, Mark Taylor won the toss and elected to bat first on a damp Birmingham track. It was a bold decision, but sadly, Andrew Caddick and Darren Gough curved the Australian batting order on day one. Michael Kasprowicz and Glenn Mcgrath left England wobbling at 50 for 3, but Nasser Hussain and Graeme Thorpe’s defiant stand helped England to take a 1-0 lead in the series.

Australia’s capitulation of today at Edgbaston, reminded me of the summer of 1997. In 1997 I was watching the match with french fries and a cold drink and today, I watched the game with a book in my hand. Frankly speaking, being a fan of Australian cricket, such a display neither impressed me in 1997 nor today. But, on both the occasion, I was left admiring the English bowling. The bowled the way it should be bowled on such conditions and didn’t waste the opportunity. The horrors at Lord's were laid to  rest. 

There was grass on the pitch, the sky was covered with dark clouds and the conditions were not as damp as the summer of 1997. Michael Clarke won the toss and elected to bat first. It was a bold decision, but sadly it backfired. James Anderson, a dangerous bowler in such conditions, buried the frustrations at Lord’s and swung the ball at will to rattle the Australian batting order in a ruthless fashion. Except Chris Rogers, none of the Australian batsmen showed the ideal technique and temperament against the moving ball. Australia were all out out for 136!

Can you believe this? But, this has happened.

The Australian bowlers came out with an aggressive intent, but the English confidence was not easy to dent. The English batsmen just raced to 133 for 3 in no time.  

Since 2002 England have lost just one Test way back in 2008 against South Africa. Edgbaston is one England’s luckiest grounds along with the Oval. Tough task ahead for the Aussies. They will need to make the full use of the first session tomorrow with early breakthroughs. Otherwise, England will script a memorable turnaround. Even though, an English turnaround will make this series a fascinating one.

Thank You
Faisal Caesar 


No comments:

Post a Comment