Thursday, July 14, 2016

England v Pakistan, 1st Test, Lord's, day 1 - The day belongs to Misbah-ul-Haq


The Pakistan batting line-up always needed a leader at Lord’s to show them the way. In 1982 it was Mohsin Khan, Aamer Sohail in 1992, Inzamam-ul-Haq in 1996, Mohammad Yousuf in 2006 and in 2016 it was Misbah-ul-Haq. Misbah-ul-Haq has never played any Test matches in England until today and he made his first ever Test match in England and at the Mecca of cricket count by scoring a remarkable hundred and I must say, his celebration after scoring the hundred was one of the strangest and finest I have ever seen in my life as a cricket fan.

Misbah-ul-Haq is 42 years young and he gives me the hope and inspiration by conveying the message, still at the age of 36, my journey is not over as a medical postgraduate student and I can move on despite falling behind my batch mates and junior colleagues. You are never defeated until and unless you give up.

Today, Misbah has earned the respect of those people who are not his fan and that includes me as well. But, some people know how to respect and admire remarkable achievements and in that sense, hats off Misbah.

Asad Shafiq was another batsman who impressed me a lot. While most of the Pakistani batsmen, even Misbah, were found to fall across the line, but Asad was rock solid at the crease. He was always behind the ball, watching it closely and defending it like the way the coaching manuals tell you to do. I don’t understand why Asad is taking so long to flourish? He is one of the most competent batsmen among his teammates and has the ability to make a mark international cricket, but sadly, he has not lived up to the expectations. I hope he will bloom.

Since Mohammad Zahid left, Jake Ball has given me the impression of another bowler who uses his shoulder to generate pace. But, like Zahid he doesn’t use his shoulder too much. Ball is a good fast bowler and impressed everyone with his pace and accuracy. England’s bench strength is good.

I think England’s weakest link has been those vacant areas in the second and third slip. The Pakistani batsmen fetched plenty of runs in those areas. They were edgy and engaging two slips would have been productive for Alastair Cook.

Two late wickets made the first day a well balanced one and overall, it was a great day of Test cricket. 

Thank You
Faisal Caesar 

No comments:

Post a Comment