Friday, August 12, 2016

England v Pakistan, 4th Test, Oval, Day 1 - Brilliant Moeen Ali, brilliant and sloppy Pakistan


Pakistan dropped Moeen Ali while he didn’t reach double figures and Ali went on to score a hundred. It was a counterattacking knock and his partnership with Jonny Bairstow, who was also lucky to stay there, dented Pakistan’s aggressive intent to a greater extent. I must admit, the exhibition of cricket at the Oval was of top quality. Both teams played with enough positive intent – mixed caution with aggression, but at some point, I felt, Misbah was too cautious.  

We could witness some outstanding bowling from Wahab Riaz and Mohammad Amir. Wahab’s pace was deceptive while, since the third Test Amir’s bowling seems to have improved a lot. I am sure, he grips the ball with soft hand, the nag to use the crease has increased, the seam is more upright directed more towards the slip and midwicket and the length has pulled back. I am not sure, why is he not getting enough of five-wicket hauls.

Sohail Khan bagged five wickets again, but he is not fit enough to play Test cricket. Yet again, he looked a tired man and I am not sure whether he will come good in the second innings. Meanwhile, Yasir Shah was found struggling. Misbah’s right kind of a field setting could not ignite this man and where has his googly gone? I repeat, traditional leggies won’t work here.

I need to criticize Misbah’s captaincy again. I am sorry Misbah, but, I don’t find any reason to cut short the slip cordon when it was needed to be crowded enough. I can’t support your idea of spreading the field when wickets are falling. I fail to understand why you love to go on the back foot and contain runs rather than creating opportunities.

Pakistan have to bat very well on day 2.

If they wish to counterattack, they will invite trouble.

Occupying the crease should be the motto of the day.

Thank You
Faisal Caesar 

No comments:

Post a Comment